Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The best place on earth

This past weekend Travis and I had the pleasure of visiting the best place on earth. Well, at least in our opinion it's the best place on earth. This place I speak of is Llano, Texas. It's a small town of just over 2,500 residents, but is home to the best bbq joint, is the place Travis asked me to be his wife, and also the home of the Riley Family Ranch.



In November of 2006 Travis' parents bought some land with a house in Llano to offer another place to get away. Travis likes it for it's deer hunting (llano is known as the deer capital of Texas); meanwhile others like it for its simple beauty. The back of their house and porch over look some beautiful granite outcroppings. You can see for at least 30 miles and see the tip of Enchanted Rock. Just a mile down the road is the Llano River...wonderful for an afternoon float with a cold drink in hand.



As previously mentioned Llano is home to some great bbq joints. The greatest of these joints is: Cooper's BBQ. People drive from near and far to experience this wonderful goodness. The meat is tender, the ribs are HUGE, the cobbler is amazing...i could go on and on. If you are ever out in the hill country- marble falls, fredricksburg, etc...take the 30 minute trip over to Llano and experience some Cooper's...you'll be glad you did.
Below is a picture of the line you go through and select what meat you want.


Over the weekend we got to spend some quality time with Travis' folks. It was our first time to see them since the wedding, but it was a great weekend. Judi fixed some wonderful meals for us, they took us out to eat at Cooper's, took us to the Llano Rodeo, and relaxed in the Llano River.



The rodeo was great. The clowns were actually pretty entertaining and the stands were packed. I love going to small town rodeos. Everybody gets dressed in their best western attire and cheers on the participants. One of the participants happened to be one of my friends at Baylor, Luke Groth. He was competing in the Team Roping event (which is what Travis does) and he won!



In all we had a great weekend in Llano and cannot wait to go back. If you ever want to come with us, just let us know!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

YUM! You should've brought back BBQ for team meeting this week! ;)

Austin and Ashley Evans said...

I LOVE Coopers! I went to Lake Travis High School and Llano was in our district. We went to Coopers every time we were there, no matter how long the line was! We will go with you anytime! :)

catherine said...

Natalie,

Hey! This whole blogging world is wild to me. I was so shocked and excited when I saw that I actually had three comments on my blog. I haven't told anyone what my blog address was. I quess because I really don't have too much to write about, but I have loved reading everyone elses so I gave it a try.
That BBQ is making me so hungry. I miss good Texas BBQ.
I am so glad things are good with you. I can't believe you live on 30 acres and have horses. That must be so much fun..