I’ve stumbled upon a fabulous recipe for all of these wintry days we’ve been having. I would like to thank Southern Living for this yummy and EASY recipe.
Hands-on Time: 30 min.; Total Time: 40 min. Deli-roasted chicken, cream of chicken soup, and canned biscuits make a quick-and-tasty version of this favorite. One roasted chicken yields about 3 cups of meat.
Yield: Makes 4 to 6 servings
· 1 (32-oz.) container low-sodium chicken broth
· 3 cups shredded cooked chicken (about 1 1/2 lb.) (I bought a rotisserie chicken and took the skin off)
· 1 (10 3/4-oz.) can reduced-fat cream of chicken soup
· 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
· 1 (10.2-oz.) can refrigerated jumbo buttermilk biscuits (I’ve used the Pillsbury wheat biscuits and loved it)
· 2 carrots, diced
· 3 celery ribs, diced
· I added a bag of green peas because I don’t eat carrots and wanted some veggies
1. Bring first 4 ingredients to a boil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high; return to a low boil.
2. Place biscuits on a lightly floured surface. Roll or pat each biscuit to 1/8-inch thickness; cut into 1/2-inch-wide strips.
3. Drop strips, 1 at a time, into boiling broth mixture. Add carrots and celery. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent dumplings from sticking.