Friday, May 22, 2009

Sauna Etiquette

My new post workout ritual is to visit the sauna. This allows me to have a few quiet moments to myself (fully clothed. No naked sauna for this gal) and sweat all the nasties out of me.

 

Well last night I entered the sauna and it was just me and another lady. She was sauna-ing in her swimsuit. Fine. I don’t mind that, just the naked thing weirds me out. Anywho, the quietness of the hot and steamy sauna only lasted for a moment. Swimsuit sauna lady began a 20 minute conversation in Chinese on her cell phone. Who does that? Seriously. I am ok with quiet small talk amongst yourselves, but if you need to carry on a conversation on your cell phone AND you do not know how to properly use your inside voice, then do it outside of the sauna. It really irked me last night. A few other gym rats joined me in the sauna and we gave each other puzzling looks whilst swimsuit sauna lady chatted up a storm. When I left the sauna she was still going strong with her phone conversation. Let’s hope tonight’s sauna visit is a little more peaceful.

 

What are your thoughts on sauna etiquette? Do you thinking loud talking is appropriate or do you prefer the quietness and relaxation of the sauna?

1 comment:

Vanessa said...

You should ask the gym manager to post a sign on the door about the use of the cell phone in the sauna. It is a place of peace, rest and relaxation. And AMEN to saunaing in your clothes. NAKED GROSS!