Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Team Roping

As I previously mentioned Travis has taken up the sport of Team Roping. He started about 2 years ago, but has only entered himself in to 2 big ropings. It's so fun to be able to watch him participate in something he loves so much. He has been lucky to find a really great group of guys to rope with on weeknights.

Travis has improved so much since he started and I can't wait to be by his side as he enters more ropings in the future. I've submitted myself to being a rodeo wife :) In college Travis tried bull riding, and thankfully that phase of life is over with and I'll gladly support him as he continues with his team roping career.

If you are not familiar with team roping it consists of 2 ropers a header and a heeler. The clock starts when the header nods he is ready and they let the steer go. The header is responsible for roping the steers horns. After the header has roped the steer it is then the heelers turn to rope the back to legs of the steer and then they both pull out all of the slack in both of their ropes and the clock stops. Travis is a header, but is also learning how to heel.

One day we hope to be able to enter a roping together as partners (go ahead and start laughing at me now). Now, I don't intend on making it a hobby like Travis, but one of his wishes is for me to rope with him once. So, once my horsemanship skills get a little better (OK, a lot better) then I can practice roping and hopefully we can enter a roping together one day!

It's only fair if I enter a roping with him since he did run a marathon with me. It just might be 10 or 15 years before I'm ready to do something like that.

Below is a video I took last night at the roping pen. Team Roping is an event you typically see at the rodeo, so I'm sure you'll recognize it when you see it.