Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo

Over the weekend Travis and I had the opportunity to attend the Houston Rodeo. It was such a treat! We love going to rodeos especially when you get to go with wonderful folks like Stacy and Kellye Brown (Travis’ cousin and  her husband).

 

We headed up to Reliant stadium around noon on Saturday to watch the FFA kids show off their prized cows they have been training for months on end. The Grand Champion steer sold for a measly $300,000. The neat thing about this auction is that the proceeds go to scholarship funds for high school aged kids. The kid who was the owner of the Grand Champion gets $85,000 of the money that he can use for college someday. How cool is that?

 

That afternoon we headed over to the main part of the arena where the actual rodeo was. There we were exposed to all of the normal rodeo events: bull riding, barrel racing, team roping, bronc riding, muttin’ bustin, and the calf scramble. It was a great rodeo, but of course the muttin’ bustin’ is my favorite event! I love seeing those kiddos hold on for dear life. It is so cute!

 

After the rodeo they moved a round stage on to the red dirt rodeo floor and we were able to listen to the wonderfully talented Josh Turner. If you have not heard him, I encourage you to look him on iTunes. He has a wonderful bass voice and can sing so well! He is even a Christian and his wife is the keyboardist and back up vocalist for his band. He sounds just as good live as he does on his CDs, which is pretty rare to find these days.

 

After the rodeo and concert, we walked around the fair grounds and looked at the various types of fried foods that were offered: fried oreos, fried twinkies, ding dongs, fried m &ms, chicken fried bacon, and the list goes on. Travis and I succumbed to a corn dog (me) and a turkey leg (travis). The corn dog was fabulous and helped me to re-live all my child hood dreams and Travis said the turkey leg was marginal, but nothing to write home about.

 

It wasn’t the most romantic way to spend our first anniversary, but I would not have it any other way. I just love being able to spend  time with my Travis—he’s pretty special to me J

 

 

2 comments:

Vanessa said...

Yummy fair corndogs! Those are my favorite. I would have had the funnel cake also. I love fair food. It is soooo bad for you, but so good.

Miss Nikki's News said...

hey girl-
i would love to add your blog to my list of daily reads! i have one too missnikkisnews.blogspot.com hope all is well, i wanted so bad to go to the houston rodeo, im hoping next year!