Friday, December 12, 2008

Trail Ride

 

Yesterday was my day off and I spent the morning at the gym meeting with my personal trainer and then treating myself to a nice cardio workout. When I got home Travis had the horses ready and we headed out to the 428 Greenbelt which is a public park owned by Denton County that has equestrian trails, canoeing sites, and jogging trails. The equestrian trail is 6.5 miles long and takes you along Lake Ray Roberts and some beautiful countryside.

 

This was my first time on a trail ride (a real ride, not one that you pay for or do at summer camp) and my first time riding Moose since he GRADUATED from school this past Saturday. Moose spent a month with a horse trainer refining his reigning skills and he is one excellent horse! 

 

The trail was nice as it took us through some open pasture that took us through some hard woods and we crossed the creek 3 different times having to make it up and down some pretty steep terrain. We made it down the trail about 2.5 miles and decided it was time to turn around and head back home.

 

While on our ride, we came across several armadillos just working away at finding food on the ground. They didn’t even get scared and run off, they just kept doing what they were doing! We also discovered that Travis’ horse, Sloan, has a very fast walk and my horse, Moose, walks extremely slow. I would take off to get a good head start and sure enough Travis and Sloan would catch back up with me and then we’d be left in the dust again.

 

I am a little sore from sitting in the saddle for so long, but it was worth every minute of it. I had such a great time with Travis and getting to know my Moose a little better. I cannot wait to do it again!

3 comments:

Kensie said...

Natalie, that looks like SO much fun!! I'm SO jealous! There aren't too many places to ride horses here in Carrollton! LOL!

A Momma Who Cooks said...

I'm so jealous, I used to get to do this all the time when my grandparents were still living...they had a horse farm...i miss it soo much!!!

Kyle and Marci said...

Look at you, cowgirl!! Sounds like you had a relaxing day with your hubby :)