Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Working from Home

I was given the privilege of working from home ALL day on Monday and half a day on Tuesday. This was really just a trial to see how it would work since I live 50 miles away and because my job is basically 95% on the phone and the other portion of my day is emailing or chatting with our participants. I was nervous that something would go entirely wrong and I’d have to come in to work, or that I’d be stuck without any resources and wouldn’t be able to help our participants.

 

Well, it was a HUGE success. I mean I had a couple of hiccups on Monday, but overall it was a ginormous success. I fell in love with working from the casa. I could seriously get used to it. Too bad it will probably only be implemented on inclement (snow) weather days. Oh well. Praise the Lord that I am gainfully and happily employed during this job market. I mean, I really love the people I work with and we have a great time whilst at work (playing Farkle, throwing balls at each other, wearing the same dress on the same day, GS Games, etc.) BUT having the ability to be in your own home, not having to put make up on, not sitting in 1 ounce of traffic, it was bliss.  Pure and utter bliss.

 

Here are MY PROS for working at home:

1.      I was able to sleep in 2.5 hours longer than normal

2.      I did not have to put makeup on

3.      I was able to wear my workout clothes

4.      I was able to work-out during lunch

5.      I was more relaxed being in a comfortable and more peaceful environment

6.      I saved 84 miles on tires, gas, etc.

7.      It saved me 2 hours of driving/sitting in Dallas traffic

8.      I was able to see the hubs who has been traveling like crazy lately

 

Here are MY CONS for working at home:

1.      I was away from all of my fabulous co-workers who I get along with SO well

2.      I did not have access to my files on my desk, but did online

 

 

So, you can see that the pros easily outweigh the cons. Now, I think I would get bored if I worked from home every day, but I think it would be great to have the ability to work from home once a week, month, etc. With that said, Thank You to my awesome employer for even allowing me to test the remote log-in from home. I highly recommend it in the event we have another snow day or just because J

 

The End.

2 comments:

Kensie said...

Brandon started working from home in June and we're able to save so much money in gas, tolls, dry cleaning, etc. It's been great having access to him during the day while I'm off this summer, but doing it day in and day out, he has to make sure he has office hours, comes out of his office at lunch, etc. I SO understand wanting to save that extra drive time; that's awesome, Natalie!!!

Kyle and Marci said...

Yea for working from home...I think it's a fabulous idea as long as you can remain productive and it sounds like you did. Hope you get more days like this!