Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Some Like It Hot

You might think this post is going to reiterate the fact that it's hot outside, but nope I've got something even HOTTER.

**viewer discretion is advised. Some pictures may be seen as graphic**

About 8 weeks ago Travis and I were invited to spend the weekend with our friends at their family ranch in Goldthwaite. We jumped at the opportunity to spend the weekend with our dear friends and soaking up the summer on the banks of the Colorado River.

It was all fun and games until I, Natalie not so graceful Riley, miss-judged the hitch on the back of the Mule (4 wheeler) and my left leg came in contact with the exhaust for almost 45 seconds.

I didn't realize my leg was burning until I got up and saw a big patch of white and some charred skin. I immediately ran into the house and washed the burn. (side note: our friends parents were there and thankfully Mrs. McKenzie is an ER nurse and she knew just what to do). She removed "cut away" the dead skin, applied aloe, and a silver based burn cream.

Turns out I'm now a 2nd degree burn victim.

Below are pictures of the burn as it healed. Like I previously mentioned, some may seem graphic but it's real.


Day 2: most of what you see is the burn cream


Day 3: starting to dry out


Day 4


Day 5


Day 6


Day 7


Day 8


Day 9


Day 10


Day 14


6 weeks later


As you can see it had improved over time, but it appears that I'll be left with a scar. I'm using Vitamin E and loading it with sunscreen anytime I'm outdoors.

I'm not going to lie, it was the most painful injury I've ever had. I was laid up in bed for 5 days after the burn, because I could barely walk without pain.

I'm so thankful that it wasn't any worse and that it healed without infection.

4 comments:

Kyle and Marci said...

OMG NAT!!! Ouchie! I bet that DID hurt. You poor thing. This won't hinder your ability to partake in a beverage or two when I see you in Sept, right? :)

aj said...

omgoodness I did the same thing on my uncles model t when i was a jr in high school. the exhaust pipe was along the side and i didnt see it. it hurt so bad...i still have the scar, but it doesnt look like it now. basically the pigment is just slightly off my normal skin color and you can only see it if i point it out. So sorry you are going through that it totally sucks. But it will get back to somewhat normal...or what will be a new normal

Kensie said...

OMG! SO sorry! It's looking better and better though!! Hope ya'll are doing great!

Rachel and Matt said...

Oh Nat I am so sorry. That does look painful. I hope it is healing well.